Soon To Be Classics

Friday, July 01, 2005

Not with a bang, but a whimper

I turned in my notice yesterday.

It was a short little email (does anyone send letters, anymore?) that merely stated my regret at leaving, my future adventures, and my responsibility to family. I thanked everyone for my time with the company (11 total years from first "rules question" I answered on AOL, the playtesting for THE GAME, subsequent contract work, and finally 2 years worth of full time) and gave them my final work date.

The rest of the day was pretty normal. Doing odd projects, chatting with the few co-workers left, lunch at Hooters, and fending off a co-worker who wanted to sneak out and see War of the Worlds in the middle of the day.

The irony was not lost on me that my exit was more graceful (and planned) than so many of my friends who suffered from earlier layoffs. What was odd to me was the question that was asked many times. Instead of "what's your new job" I heard "do you have a new job". It's as if getting out was more important than landing gracefully.

I DO have a new job. I will be moving to Seattle to take a position with Wizkids so I'm staying in the game industry, although this veers quite a bit into the realm of toys, which I'm very exicted about. They seem to be a great company and I'm looking forward to the move.

I don't have a lot to say about it yet because I'm very busy with the second move and house sale in two years. I had hoped my time in Virginia would have been longer, but it doesn't appear to be "in the cards".

I hope I get a chance to see as many of you as I can before I go.

12 Comments:

  • Congratulations on your new job. :-) And may the Force be with you.

    By Blogger Major Rakal, at 7:34 AM  

  • Send me a note when you're settled in in Seattle. I'm only a 3 hour dirve away and would love to catch up sometime...

    I truly wonder how a company that had such amazing people working for it could screw up so badly. It staggers my mind.

    Best wishes for you and your family.

    By Blogger Michael J. Hercus, at 10:29 AM  

  • Congratulations! I'm gonna e-mail you now.

    By Blogger thisismarcus, at 2:05 PM  

  • Good for you. I hope you and your family have an easy transition to life in Seattle.

    By Blogger DrHeimlich, at 8:51 AM  

  • Woot! You go, boy! I think that's gonna work out great.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 7:30 PM  

  • Good for you, man! I think there were more ex-Decipherians at Origins than there were Decipherians.

    By Blogger Jason, at 7:48 PM  

  • I wish you the very best of luck .

    By Blogger Hayden, at 10:13 AM  

  • Awesome MT, hope to cross paths with you from time to time! Glad to hear god things are in store.

    By Blogger Roycer, at 11:25 AM  

  • YAY!!!!

    i think i already said it to you but YAY again.

    By Blogger erika, at 7:54 AM  

  • Thanks guys. It's really nice to see such support. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to pull a couple of you along with me. :D

    By Blogger Mkae, at 12:05 PM  

  • Cheers to you MT. Indeed, don't worry about the grace of your exit, because there is very little fun to be had when you are trapped within a dead, stinking carcass. Sure, you've got food, but is it worth it?

    Let's catch up before you depart... you are key in many of my 'good time' memories (even excusing you during that 'meeting your wife' time;)

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 1:26 AM  

  • Congratulations. The Decipher Diaspora has spread far and wide.

    By Blogger GiromiDe, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home