Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Batman Begins. Well, again at least.

Got a chance to see Batman Begins last night. Let me just say right out that this is a good film. The reason I can say that is that I actually enjoyed the parts BEFORE we see the costume more than when he's in costume. This is just barely, mind you, but it's still very hard to show a serious actor dressed as a bat and not look silly.

I won't do a long review but I should touch on a few things. Michael Caine was great, as Alfred. This is an easy character to write funny lines for but you need to make him the surrogate father to Bruce Wayne. Although I still say the scene between Geroge Clooney and Michael Gough in Batman and Robin was a great scene, this relationship seemed more realistic.

Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox. Very good but he was kind of the "M" from the Bond franchise. Still, a great cameo and a great choice for a character that the comics have never really fleshed out that much. That will change I'm sure.

Liam Neeson as Ducard. I remember seeing Darkman and thinking "this guy is great, too bad he's only doing b-fare". He is soooo good it's just scary.

Katie (Xenu will save me) Holmes as Rachael Dawson. Her character really didn't bother me as much as I thought. A little perky and obnoxious at first, she didn't damage the film the way that Nicole Kidman did in Batman Forever.

Gary Oldman as Sgt. James Gordon. FINALLY!! One of the most pivotal characters in the Batman universe get treated properly. I was doubtful that Oldman could do this as I'm so used to him playing bad guys or lunatics; something that Gordon is not. He was great. The last scene in the movie is so good.....

I'll post something more in-depth next week after everyone has had a chance to see it. If anyone's going, take me along because I'm up to take the ride again!

3 Comments:

  • Oh crap, I forgot to mention Gary Oldman! He is terrific. If he had a four second part as a janitor in a film, you'd remember him. A great Gordon!

    I was not familiar with the Lucius Fox character, but I sure liked him in the film. Loved the movie, and so did LWC.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:55 AM  

  • Lucius Fox was never the technology expert he was in the film, but I'm ok with it. His character in the comics is exactly what it is at the end of the film.

    The one thing I really missed in the film was the detective aspect. You only briefly see that when he's compiling notes on Gotham's crooked politicians and officials. Still, there's time...

    By Blogger Mkae, at 6:26 AM  

  • Hmm. Good point. Like a paean to real honest cops, Batman spent a lot of time doing real boring tedious detective work. I liked that.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home