Soon To Be Classics

Friday, October 05, 2007

And We're Back...

Ok, first, sorry for freaking everyone out. I think I'm far enough out from this situation to take a moment to write about it.

For the last 20 years, I have been taking care of my mom. She has either lived with me, my family, or in very close proximity. She's into her 70's now and her health is in serious decline. Recently, the situation became quite incendiary with flashes of paranoia, accusations, and just generally strange behavior. We're having her evaluated for a number of things, including (at the doctor's request) Parkinson's disease. (On a side note, my dad had that before he died.)

It became necessary to move mom into a facility better suited for her. So, we sought out and found an assisted living facility nearby. There was a ton of family strife and the damage done between mom's children is permanent. Literally, I will never speak with my sister again because of this issue. Ever.

So mom is in a place right now where there is a nurse on staff 24 hours, lots of people her age and she's having a ball. It was still incredibly difficult and we're certainly not through the worst of it yet as we await diagnosis after diagnosis. Note that this isn't a nursing home. Rather, it's an apartment with a watchful eye and nightly bingo matches.

Work has been about the hardest it has ever been and the 8 month rainy season has started with literally 3 weeks of straight rain.

That's it in a nutshell.

4 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear of your situation. Sadly, I know how it goes as my mother has had similar issues with respect to her mom's care. I hope things get better from here out.

    By Blogger Hayden, at 11:08 AM  

  • I am so sorry to hear things have been hard. I can't imagine what you must be going through. I worry about this, mostly because I am now an Only child...so it's all going to be me.

    K

    By Blogger Arwen, at 10:02 PM  

  • LWC and I are both further down the road with these issues, but I certainly symphathize. That's a lot of strife packed into a few weeks. Glad you've made it through to the other side! I can send you pictures of sunshine in case you forget what it looks like.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 6:42 AM  

  • It's a tough situation. I went through it with my grandfather several years ago with the same disease. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    By Blogger vbdizzydolphin, at 5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home