Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Doctor Who - Redux




I sat down this afternoon to watch the third episode of Doctor Who, "The Unquiet Dead". This was essentially a ghost story - zombie - time travel episode. Pretty standard stuff, eh?

However, this did include a favorite author of mine, Charles Dickens. I enjoyed the actor who played Dickens and I thought his inclusion very much brought the story down to Earth.

All in all, I did enjoy this episode and will back off a bit on my earlier criticism of the series. The direction was much more stable and not so frenetic. Eccleston is growing on me as a Doctor and Billie Pieper really isn't hard to watch. It is still very British, so it does take getting used to. It is still better than Stargate Atlantis, which I just can't stomach even on a good day.

6 Comments:

  • I know that Billies are windshield wipers in Cockney rhyming slang because Billie Piper "rhymes" with winsdshield wipers, but that's all I know about her.

    Are you watching the first season of the new series? I need to get myself the DVD. :o)

    By Blogger C, at 7:24 PM  

  • Yes, this is the first season airing on Sci-Fi. The DVD set doesn't come out until July which (I guess) is when this season will have ended. As I said, it's very British, but not so much so as the previous incarnations of the Doctor.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 8:55 PM  

  • I hate this series. Just me personnally though. I really disliked most of the first season of Atlantis but I am liking the second season quite a bit.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 1:42 AM  

  • Not til July? Stink!

    By Blogger C, at 4:11 PM  

  • What I can't stand is the loud synth music. What was charming about the music in the old series seems annoying in the new one.

    I think the overuse of cuts was probably borne out of the fact they are using more modern technology, finally. They probably went edit-happy with all these new tools the Yanks have been using in even the cheapest productions for decades.

    The series gets better. "Dalek" succeeded in using modern effects to make the Dalek race seem genuinely terrifying.

    It's still very British, which is the most important thing.

    By Blogger GiromiDe, at 9:28 AM  

  • You picked one of the best episodes to review here. Nos 9 and 10 (9 aired Friday) are the shiznit of this season and were nominated for a Hugo. All the more surprising to learn that the writer is the guy behind Coupling!

    Season 1 is flawed but the show grows up faster than any other cult show in living memory. We're five episodes into season two over here now and four of them have been real doozies. (A doozy is good, right?)

    Finally from this soapbox, Doctor Who won three British Association of Film and Television Awards last weekend.

    By Blogger thisismarcus, at 3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home