Soon To Be Classics

Saturday, March 18, 2006

The State Game - Official Rules

With my recent trip to Las Vegas, Nevada, Trevor and I were discussing the official rules to the "State Game". He has requested that I post them here, as I appear to be the one that has brought this game to most of the folks that I know.

Object: You win the game when you visit every single U.S. state before you die.

Rules:

The rules are very simple:

1) You must physically set foot in every U.S. state. Driving in the state doesn't count. Stop and pee on a tree, if you have to.

2) Airports do *NOT* count as being part of the state as they are considered to be like a foreign consulate. (Anyone who thinks that airports exist in our reality only need to try and purchase food there.)

That's it. Rule #2 usually seems to be the biggest issue and is the most contested. This is usually brought up by people who want to cheat and take the easy way out.

I have never been to Arizona, but I have been to Phoenix as my Southwestern flight stopped through there. For that to have counted, I would have needed to catch a cab, ask him to take me off airport property, get out and run around the cab. This would have probably ended me up in jail.

Feel free to contest any of the rules posted. I'll post my states later and welcome you to do the same. If anyone has been to EVERY state under the rules above, I'd love to see that as well. I hope to have this completed by age 50, personally.

Edit: Here's the link to the resource that Kathy was talking about in the Comment section. According to this, I have 17 states to go. And here is the link to My States

6 Comments:

  • So here's a cool tool, which creates a map with shaded states to represent the states you've visited. Here is mine.

    The sort of neat thing is that you can sort of see the routes I've taken on my crazy long car trips. You can see the swath I cut along the southern half of the nation when we drove from California to Virginia when I was 12, and you can see the results from the trips the mister and I took when we drove from Virginia to Missouri, Virginia to Wisconsin, and Virginia to Minnesota. You can also tell that I've driven from Virginia to DisneyWorld, and stopped in each state to compare the pecan rolls.

    (Georgia has the best ones.)

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10:13 PM  

  • Just turned 25 and only 5 away mark.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 10:24 PM  

  • I'm down to four states. Alaska, Hawaii, Florida and Maine. Talk about extremedies. And btw...FOR SHAME for never getting credit for Arizona. When you are in a lay over here, I'll take you to a mexican restaurant and then get Arizona to count.

    By Blogger TheGirard, at 8:41 AM  

  • Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, tennessee, virginia, florida, georgia, south carolina, maryland, new jersey, west virginia, ohio, indiana, illinois, wisconsin, minnesota, north dakota, montana, colorado, idaho, nevada, alaska, pennsylvania.

    28 of 50.

    not to bad ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

  • Am I the only one who isn't getting a map at Mkae's link?

    By Blogger Major Rakal, at 6:12 AM  

  • I also get no map love from Mkae. Call Geeks On Call and get your HTML fixed, stat!

    By Blogger Shocho, at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home