Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Sad Task of Spring Begins

Really, I only went out to fix the gate.

The monkey (my two year old) has begun pulling Steve McQueen-type escapes from the backyard by capitalizing on the poor craftmanship of the two gates on either side of the house. I used big rocks, a drill, and wood to thwart him. No one escapes Stalag Tuttle.

So on my way back into the house, I notice the yard looks like shit. I never got around to raking up most of the leaves, due mostly in part to the crap-hole region of the country I now live in and the biblical-style rain we had all winter. I then pulled out the electric hedge trimmer (if you don't have one of these, get one. even if you don't own a hedge.), leaf vacuum, rakes, trash bags, extension chords, etc. The kids came out to pitch in. I let them believe that spreading the leaves back out of my piles was helpful.

It really was a nice day, for once, so it did feel good to get outside and move around a bit. There's still much more work to do in the yard so the payoff better be worth it.

4 Comments:

  • This thread is useless without pictures.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 6:52 AM  

  • Well that sounded crankier than usual.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 7:44 PM  

  • Hmm, sorry, that's a Fark cliche. I guess what I meant was I'd like to see pictures of your yard. It's very nice compared to mine.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 8:08 AM  

  • Ugh. We have the same thing going on in our backyard. My plan: mow them all into the bagger and use them in the garden. "Lasagne Gardening" uses alternating layers of leaves and soil (and whetever else you can find that's beneficial) which then compost themselves throughout the year. Handy!

    By Blogger C, at 6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home