Soon To Be Classics

Monday, August 29, 2005

Blurring the line? Not really.

Why do I like movies?

Theaters have become a haven for snot-nosed teenage punks looking to ruin everyone's good time, ticket prices are astronomical, there's 20 minutes of commercials prior to the movie, a bucket of popcorn is running close to my mortgage.

And, the movies generally suck.

Now maybe I'm following Shocho's lead and getting a little bitter, but I saw something today that made me just cringe. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is starring in a big-screen version of the cult video game classic DOOM. Now, DOOM is an all-time favorite of mine and it's what sold me on multiplayer. A buddy of mine and I spent hours blowing each other away on two network systems. So I'm at least curious about the film. I also really enjoy The Rock on screen. I hate wrestling but he's always entertaining to watch. So, what could they do wrong?

A lot, actually.

First, check out the trailer here:

DOOM Trailer

Notice how much it looks like the video game? I mean HOW MUCH IT LOOKS LIKE THE VIDEO GAME?? Yep, they've officially announced that this will be the first FPS movie. FPS stands for "first person shooter". The perspective you will see in much of the movie will be as if you're holding the gun and moving through the Mars base encountering monsters, zombies and other assorted baddies. So it appears that you're going to see a lot of The Rock's right thumb knuckle, but not much else.

Why does Hollywood have to "experiment" with nonsense like this? It is NOT a game, it's a movie. I suspect that this trick will wear out very fast. Why not save this for the DVD release and add it as a cool extra? Instead, we'll have to deal with this through who knows how much film.

I own DOOM. At least a couple of different versions. If this is the film, then I've already seen it, played it, and in an odd parallel to ticket prices, been killed by it.

At least the Rock's knuckle doesn't make my right knuckle feel insignificant.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home