Soon To Be Classics

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

There's no place like home, there's no place like home...

I really have nowhere I call home.

In my life, I have lived in six different states and 10+ cities. We moved around a bit when I was a kid (due to Dad's jobs) and I'm repeating the pattern. As it is now, my daughter was born in Ohio, then lived in Virginia and now Washington state. My son was born in Virginia and now resides in WA. (Technicality: If the Supreme Court can ever decide when life begins, my son might be able to claim living in Ohio too.)

I've gotten the question "Where are you from?" a lot lately. It's a tough call. I was born in Missouri but remember nothing of it. I grew up mostly in Nebraska but don't usually admit it. I graduated High School in Ohio so I normally credit that. Virginia is becoming a bit of a blip on the radar with not much happening beyond the son's birth. Now I'm in WA and I have a new house. The family is here (mom as well) and we're settling in. I don't know that it'll ever become "home" but then maybe I'm not even sure how exactly to define that.

The true test, of course, is if I click my heels three times and say "There's no place like home." where will I end up??

3 Comments:

  • Maybe you should say, "I'm from the Midwest." Cause you seem like a Midwesterner to me (I mean that in a good way, since I am too.) Total up the years and see how that works. I've lived in three states, but 32 years in Missouri in two stints is good enough for me.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:18 AM  

  • Speaking of which, I have yet to meet someone who can identify that I'm from Minnesota. Dontcha know? Uff-da!

    By Blogger Jason, at 3:30 PM  

  • yay, your family is with you!!

    By Blogger erika, at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home