Soon To Be Classics

Friday, August 05, 2005

Movies at 35,000 Feet

It dawned on me the other day, that the last several movies I have seen have all been on airplanes and NOT in the theaters. Thus, here are some quick reviews as I have nothing important to blog about today:

Hitch - This lighthearted Will Smith comedy was pretty awful. Improbable, slow, plodding, just not so good. Parts of it just made no sense. Even Kevin James, who normally makes me laugh, looked uncomfortable in this movie.

Guess Who - Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher star in this loose remake of "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". I have to admit, that I laughed pretty good through this film. You're not supposed to laugh on a plane (or scream "We're all gonna DIE!") but I did anyway. Mac is great. This one's a good Netflix choice.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - I was excited to see this was my film for the west bound flight but I really wondered if the "normal" people on the plane would "get it". I don't think they did. People looked generally more bewildered than usual. Truth be told, I didn't like it much either. I knew the story and all the jokes, of course, but it just didn't seem to flow. I'll stick with the books or the original radio show. A valiant attempt, sure. But I think it missed the mark.

Now, I had some time to kill last night, so I finally got around to seeing Fantastic Four, which I had predicted would suck.

However, I really enjoyed this film. It's not a "great" film by any means and won't score terribly high on the "best comic book movies" list, but it was fun, the characters were well developed (except Doom, who I think they missed completely and instead inserted Norman Osborn). The effects left a bit to be desired. But, it was a good popcorn film and will probably find a place on my DVD shelf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home