Soon To Be Classics

Saturday, August 27, 2005

An Edith Keeler Moment

Edith Keeler was a social worker in the 1930's who had the vision of cooperation between the world's nations, as well as atomic energy and the exploration of space. Unfortunately, she was struck by an automobile and killed before her ideas could be realized.

And yet, at one point, she WASN'T struck by that car, and went on to change history. Literally. A visitor from the future who was not supposed to be there prevented her death, altering everything from that point forward.

If you haven't recognized the story, it's from the classic Star Trek TOS episode "City on the Edge of Forever". It was written by Harlan Ellison and basically asks the question, "could you let someone you love die, knowing that you HAD to"?

To me, the episode has a different meaning. The focal point of the story is the car accident. Whether or not Keeler is hit by the car is the divergent point in history. Obviously, our own lives have such points. Should I take this job? Should I marry this person? Should I turn right or left? Paper or plastic? You can drive yourself insane thinking of the paradox.

But, is there one singular "Edith Keeler Moment" in your life? I know what mine is. It was literally posed to me in a question at a specific moment in my life. And I think I realized at the time that I was standing at a crossroads. It took me a long time to answer but my response took me down the path I did.

I don't regret my answer, but I often wonder if there is a parallel universe for these divergencies and how I'm doing there.

1 Comments:

  • Gee, I have them all the time. Oh, wait... those are "senior moments."

    Seriously, though, I've had quite a few Edith Keeler moments. My choice of grad school; my marriage; my return to teaching after a 5-year hiatus as a lab technician; my attendance at a Star Trek convention in late 1995, when STCCG was hot; there are others, and I'm hard put to name just one as the Edith Keeler moment of my life. Each pivotal decision is a prerequisite for another pivotal decision.

    By Blogger Major Rakal, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home