Soon To Be Classics

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The First Day (or two, rather)

Today marked the end of my second day at my new job at WizKids. I was big-time nervous. Not because I thought I couldn't do the job, but rather I just hated being in the position that I didn't know the policies, procedures and where the bathroom was. Not necessarily in that order.

I could go through the entire list of things that I saw and did, but I'll cut to the highlight reel. Roll it:

1) WizKids keeps a fully stocked break room with pop (they say "pop" here), water and tea as well as cookies, crackers, popcorn and other assorted goodies. Fair game, was the phrase they used. This could be bad.

2) The young sales assistant (which may or may not be his title) is a great guy. He's already been invaluable to helping me get up to speed. When I tell you what I started calling him, you'll understand his personality. I call him Jimmy Olsen. :)

3) My office is very nice, has soundproof walls, and looks out to Mt. Rainer. Doesn't suck.

4) They really don't like it when you wear a tie to WizKids.

5) Very friendly people kept dropping by my office and introducing themselves, followed immediately by "you don't have any toys in here. We'll fix that!" By days end, my desk was covered with toys.

6) My daughter told me on the phone tonight that she wanted me to come home right away. I almost cried.

7) When you order the "Meat Lovers Bowl" at Denny's, you also get a stack of pancakes and another order of sausage. I don't get it.

8) As God is my witness, I was telling a story about Grunties to two of the employees. Five minutes later, a Gruntie seemingly appeared balanced on the wall between two cubicles. I do NOT remember it being there when I told the story and Jimmy Olsen, who's cubicle it was, didn't remember where it had come from either. Weird shit.

9) The traffic here is awful. There's no way to sugar coat that. It just sucks. No matter where I live will require a horrible, hour long drive each way at least.

10) Microsoft Outlook, when used properly, as WizKids does, is the most amazing business tool I have ever seen. It does email, integrates meeting invites and notifications, allows access to documents in public folders and more. Take note big D, drop that Macintosh bullshit and get a system that is designed for business.

I should also point out that I spent two evenings in a row looking for houses. That's another entry entirely.

*yawn*

9 Comments:

  • Gotta love the pro-toy attitude. Sounds like a great place to work! Except for the Microsoft stuff, of course.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:29 AM  

  • I agree with the Microsoft rant,.......I learned on a Mac, but work on a PC.....

    By Blogger Roycer, at 8:27 AM  

  • Finding out where the bathroom is would be my first priority. The policies and procedures can fend for themselves.

    The crucial "pop" question is, is it Coke or Pepsi?

    Soundproof office walls... wow, what a concept.

    Take note big D, drop that Macintosh bullshit and get a system that is designed for business.

    The key words here are "designed for business." And this applies to big D how?

    Congrats, sounds like a great move. Well, not the commuting part. Good luck finding a house fast so you can bring your family out there.

    By Blogger Major Rakal, at 9:05 AM  

  • Did they cut off your tie?

    By Blogger Kathy, at 11:23 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 1:33 PM  

  • Although you never really do, it must seem like starting over again.

    Hopefully your wisdom (no ties, check for grunties first) will stand me in good stead for my start at the new job next week.

    P.S -- The photo from your finale lunch is linked in my post today! Nice photo that I want to get to you. Email me at firstnamelastname@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 1:34 PM  

  • It's Coke Kathy, sorry. :(

    As for the tie, no, but they threatened to fire me.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 1:38 PM  

  • Do you think some unsuspecting person actually owns firstnamelastname@hotmail.com?

    By Blogger thisismarcus, at 1:39 PM  

  • Gotta learn that Microsoft thing...

    At my new job only the Art dept is on Macintosh's. Imagine that the whole company on IBM's except the art dept.

    crazy the way both systems can intregrate like that, crazy.

    By Blogger The Information Officer, at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home