Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Is it just ME?


Because my computer decided to blow up when it did (I suspect copious amounts of jelly in the keyboard had something to do with it) and I bought my new system when I did, I get a free upgrade to Windows Vista. Woot! So I've filled out the rebate form and should be getting it in a couple of weeks.

Now, I have to say I have really enjoyed the current version of Windows (Windows Media Edition). I didn't know much about it prior to getting my new system but it just freaking rocks. XP was always solid for me but it didn't have the media bells and whistles that this one did. I'm anxious to get my Xbox 360 so I can network the media up to my bigscreen (my brother in law did this and it's very cool).

So I know that Vista is coming and I've been doing a lot of reading on it. However, I read a review on PC Computing that made me wonder. I made the number from Windows 95 to Windows ME. A stupid, stupid move. ME was really nothing more than a cosmetic overhaul and essentially just compiled a handful of patches into one "operating system". The review on Vista stated that a lot of it was just "cosmetic". As I already have the Media Edition, I already have a lot of what Vista includes so I'm wondering if Vista will be another ME.

And before all my Mac friends jump in, no, I'm not going to a Mac. Maybe, like, ever. Been there, done it, consider it a toy.

4 Comments:

  • hey there! just coming to say hello and tell you that yes i changed my blog months ago! thanks for still coming to visit me!

    By Blogger Max and Me, at 5:38 PM  

  • I upgraded to Vista last week and am glad I did. You're right though, much of the upgrade was cosmetic. On my relatively new and fast machine, Vista is much faster than XP was (due in large part to the clean install I did, I think) and many of the built in features are cool. I think some of the best things may only be on the Ultimate Edition but you'll have to decide which bells and whistles you want.

    So far, some of the cool things I'm liking (and using) are: a recycle bin that is as large as your free HD space, auto-HD background Defrag, wirelessly streaming video to my TV, a decent photo and video manager (but Mac is probably better), a great built-in HD back-up program, and the best thing (not really Vista) is Office 2007.

    For a guy who spends twelve hours a day in Word and Outlook, Office 2007 is pretty amazing!

    Back to Vista: I think most of the great features don't really jump out until you use them. I haven't even tried using Readyboost or Readydrive yet, for example--although the way Vista treats the installed RAM is really cool (intelligent pre-loading of software into spare RAM for quick-starts). Oh, and the hybrid sleep function also works really well. My morning start-ups are now about 5 seconds!

    By Blogger Michael J. Hercus, at 8:57 PM  

  • If you have enough RAM and a dual processor then Vista should be much faster than XP. XP just fakes using dual processors, Vista actually takes advantage of them. If your machine doesn't have a dual (or quad) processor then you won't see hardly any speed difference, if fact it will probably run slower. To do all of the 'fake' stuff like Michael talks about you need the RAM, probably two gigs. A lot of the faster feel of Vista is it just faking it by loading stuff into RAM earlier, basically making it look faster.

    The complaints I've seen on Vista are basically that MS spent 6 years and this is what they came up with. It seems to be a very solid OS but not really what 6 years should have gave us.

    Windows ME was junk, it wasn't a new OS like 95 or 98. Silly Mark.

    By Blogger TMac, at 7:57 AM  

  • The one advantage that ME had was that you got all of the patches prior to the popular advent of broadband. Seriously, getting those updates was a freakin' bitch. But it still wasn't worth the cash.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home