Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, August 17, 2006

When The Game is Playing Games

I'm running through my monthly expenses and cancelling things I don't really need, adjusting my insurance policies, etc. Just a way of cutting back to account for higher gas prices and the like. So I decided it was time to quit World of Warcraft. I don't play much and would rather spend time with my children. So, I took a deep breath, hit the cancel account button and assumed I was only a few seconds away from kissing Mkae goodbye until I resurrect him in my next gaming venture.

But I was wrong.

I tried to cancel my account through their online interface and lo and behond, my "intolerability skill increased by 1" when after filling out their form, noticed that there IS NO SUBMIT BUTTON. The graphic at the side twice mentions that they'd love to talk to me before cancelling my account but doesn't list it as a requirement. In fact, it says:

"If you still want to deactivate your subscription onlineā€š please answer the following questions to help improve the overall quality of the game: If you experience any problems while trying to cancel your subscription please contact Billing and Account Services at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD."

Hmm...yes, I would say not having a SUBMIT or CONTINUE button is a problem. Their text indicates to me that I can continue this process without calling them, but without a way to submit my request, well, I stay a paying customer.

For those of you that have ever tried to cancel AOL, you know what the scam is. So, I guess I have to make the call. I'm going to tell them quite simply that I'm cancelling. Everytime they try and talk me out of it, I'm going to scream "kek kek!" into the phone. Maybe I should tape it.

I was going to post a nice entry about leaving the game and waxing philosophical on how much fun I had, but this just soured two years of game play. Makes it a lot easier to give up though.

5 Comments:

  • Yeah, I hate this cancellation stuff too. I tried to quit AOL twice, what horrible experiences. I think "kek kek kek" would be a perfect response. We'll miss ya, so keep in touch with blog and email! :)

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:43 AM  

  • tell me more about trying to leave aol. you know....now aol is supposed to be free...they say you will get your IM and e-mail and favorites...you just won't be able to connect through them.

    By Blogger Max and Me, at 6:35 PM  

  • I just got rid of that virus people call AOL off of my computer and not a moment too soon. I was using it between not having cable internet and reconnecting cable internet (worst decision I ever made, disconnecting it)

    When I was about to be hung up on, I asked the opperator about the refund to my charges, since the little box said I can try AOL 'risk free' with no charages if I am dissatisfied. She is like, "We don't have that policy" I ask nicely for her to ask someone else, she waits for a sec and comes back with the same answer. I decide it almost isn't worth it, but I wanted my 51.80 back! I speak with the next level up and they have never heard of this 'risk free' deal so I decide three's the charm and give it another go. This person tries to get me to keep AOL, and after 20 minutes with him I KNOW I don't want it any longer, and finally get my money back.

    I swear, if I ever think I can install AOL ever again, someone shoot me.

    By Blogger BubbaJoe, at 9:18 AM  

  • Why woudl you want to leave AOL when they are doing such a fine job of ensuring your and (and internet habits) get widely publicized? What other company markets you so well?

    And here's the best link in that whole article, the infamous "trying to cancel AOL" recorded phone call.

    They may have stopped charging, but that just means you will get what you pay for.

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 12:14 PM  

  • please do record the "kek kek", though the mental picture of you doing it may be enough.

    By Blogger Dave(id), at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home