Soon To Be Classics

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Stop the (Electronic) Presses

The thing that makes the Net exciting is also what makes it a tiring exercise. For several years now, I have worked in an industry that has very passionate fans AND detractors. No matter what you do, there's some asshole that is willing to spend his whole day trashing it. Now, I'm not referring to the occassional blog post (which we've all done) that decries something we dislike. Rather, I'm talking about guys (and gals, I suppose) that will commandeer a website's forum and do nothing but make it their life to trash everyone and everything. It's frustrating especially when this person isn't even a customer and just has nothing positive to say.

Back at The Company, we had a guy who was pissed at us because he submitted a computer program to us once and we rejected it. Since then, any product, any program and in fact, ANY post he felt necessary to respond to, dragging the entire forum down. We've got the issue at my new company where there's a guy on the forums who doesn't work, has no money, can't afford gaming, and thus doesn't want anyone to enjoy anything because he's a loser. It's just freaking infuriating.

I write this, because of the comment thread on the following story about Battlestar Galactica's third season on Sci-Fi channel. For those of you who wish to stay spoiler-free, don't read the story. Rather, read the three pages of comments by "spider987" and you'll know exactly what I'm referring to. It's one thing to dislike a show, but it's another do this crap.

Check it out here.

5 Comments:

  • What a douche. I don't like the show but at least I am not a jerk about it.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 12:48 PM  

  • yeah that much negativity is just tiresome.

    By Blogger Max and Me, at 6:55 PM  

  • I demand to know why you are writing about this? I'm a paying customer, I am paying YOUR salary, therefore I should get a say in how you conduct your day to day activities. It's for the better of the company, why can't you see that?

    By Blogger TheGirard, at 8:58 AM  

  • Brings back memories! Galactica rocks BTW, even more than Dr. Who.

    By Blogger thisismarcus, at 7:59 AM  

  • Funny, I blogged a similar commentary on the oddities of gamers (after GenCon of course), which touched on the "nitpicking".

    Couldn;t bring myself to read your link though. I desire BSG spoiler-free-ness!

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home