Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Year of Superman

Warner Brothers has dubbed 2006 "The Year of Superman". Of course, it's a silly marketing ploy. But they set up a website so I was obligated to look.

Most everything there is related to the new moving coming out in June. Of all the genre related movies out this year, I'm most apprehensive about this. I love the character of Superman. I just think this version is trying to appeal to those who don't.

Anyway, I could bitch about that for hours. Rather, I would like to point you to the montage video in the middle of that page that auto-loads. No sign of Brandon Routh, but everyone else is there: George Reeves, Kirk Alyn, Christopher Reeve (the ONLY Superman), Tom Welling and even Dean Cain. There are even cuts from the more recent animated Superman series. Notable omissions were the 1960's Superman cartoon and the 1970's Superfriends. Still, with the music of John Williams, the voices of Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman and a wonderful shot of a smiling George Reeves (who hated his role as The Man of Steel) carrying an equally happy young child, made this a really nice homage to Superman on screen. Of course, it ends with the ONLY shot of Superman that should ever be used to end a montage of clips. It's a clip that drew criticism in 1979 from reviewers for "breaking the 4th wall". Screw them. It's an image of Superman that Christopher Reeve created that will never be topped.

Check it out.

5 Comments:

  • I'm such a girl, but I loved Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman with Dean Cain. Their Lex was great, too, until he came back from the dead. I was glad they didn't leave it, or the WB morning cartoon, out.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 8:41 PM  

  • Missing were the terrific cartoons from the Fleisher studios of the 1940s. Of course, these are owned by Paramount.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 3:21 AM  

  • Ack. How could I have forgotten that???

    By Blogger Mkae, at 6:11 AM  

  • That was great.

    By Blogger TMac, at 8:43 AM  

  • I really think the movie looks awful and is on my won't watch list with MI3.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home