Soon To Be Classics

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It Was A Different World

I noticed something today that I somehow missed.

I had to put in a rush application for a passport, as I'll be travelling to Germany next month for work. The trip is a little last minute and having legal paperwork to get in and out of the country is somewhat important.

Anyway, in the various questions that you have to answer, is a lot of questions about your parents. I got to the questions about my parents birthplace and I had to stop and think. I really couldn't remember where they were born. I asked my mom where she was born:

"Kansas City, MO"

Where was Dad born?

"Kansas City, MO"

Then I got to my birthplace.

"Kansas City, MO"

I actually stopped and stared at this for a moment. My mom, my dad, and I were all born in the same city and state. Does that even happen anymore? I have pulled my family all over the country chasing my career that everyone has a different state of origin. They kept their roots, long enough for four of us kids to be born in the same place as themselves. I don't know why this struck me, but it offered me a sense of home that I hadn't really felt before. I really don't know much about Kansas City except that's where most of the few family I have left is. Kansas City is suddenly a much more important city to me than it ever was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home