Soon To Be Classics

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ben Franklin Originals...very rare


In between lugging loads of furniture out of the house, I managed to get my eyes checked today.

For the...first time...ever.

I guess the BMV eye machine doesn't count. No, the wife and I had a couple of hundred bucks in a flexible spending account to burn by the end of the week. Just in case you don't know what that is, it's pre-tax money you can spend on medical expenses. So Jen went last week and got her glasses yesterday. Heh. Four eyes.

Today, I had to get the air blown into my eyes. Not as bad as I expected. Got the exam and the itchy eye drops that make you look like a wide-eyed salmon for the rest of the day. Oh yeah, and with my pupils the size of hubcaps, the f'ing sun came out in Seattle. Tell me THAT isn't karma.

The reason I went in, I told them, is not that I'm having problems with my eyes. Rather, my former company and every other company in the world has begun lowering the font point of all of their text. TCG cards are nefariously guilty of this crime. Further, the ink in several books that I bought years ago was apparently bad as it's causing the typeface to shrink. Doctor Wong just laughed and proceeded to strap strange apparati to my head.

It turns out, that entering my 40's, my eyes are getting just a tad blurry on stuff right in front of me. I suggested it would be easier and cheaper to just step back. Not so, I'm told. (By the way, NEVER tell an optometrist you spend 10+ hours a day looking at a computer. It's roughly the equivalent of eating a box of oreos before getting your teeth cleaned.

Anyway, I'm just a hair over the line on need a prescription for reading. My far sight is spectacular but reading tiny text is a bit difficult. So I have to get glasses, just for those occasions when I read something more meaty than a comic book. (heh heh...) While being fitted, "Debra" asked if I could pick out my frames or whether or not I needed the wife there. After staring at her dumbfounded for a moment, she said that "many men aren't permitted to pick them out themselves." I promptly picked the most obnoxious pair I could find. I'll show her.

I wanted a pair of Ben Franklin originals, but that just got me a funny stare.

Maybe I should have waited for Jen.

2 Comments:

  • HAH!!!!

    yer old!!

    By Blogger TheGirard, at 7:44 AM  

  • How ironic...while you were getting your first pair of glasses, I was having surgery to get rid of the last pair of mine... ;)

    I'll bet you still look rugged as a button.


    "many men aren't permitted to pick them out themselves." That is Too. Funny.

    By Blogger Beanie, at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home