Soon To Be Classics

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Galaxy's End

The kids and I finished Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii today. It came down to a desperate battle with Bowser at the spot of creation of his new galaxy. On the line was the lovely and perilous Peach as well as the fate of all creation.

Once Bowser finally fell, there was a pretty long ending sequence, which in my own mind, I described as "Crisis on Mario Earths". Forgive me if you don't get the reference.

Once the credits began to roll, the kids actually broke into applause. It was as if we had just sat through a long but immensely satisfying movie. Something we started almost a month ago was finally done, and the three of us did every bit of it together.

I might have mentioned earlier about the the second player control as the "star bit collector". Whereas my 4 and 6 year old couldn't possibly do the platform play of player one, they were completely involved as player two. I found the following bit from an interview with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata:

What I originally had in mind, were situations like where a parent would be sitting by their child, and say, the mother would assist her child playing. I also think it would be great if the opposite happens. The mother would control Mario, and her child would assist his mother saying “Mom, there’s a bad guy over here!” A parent and child playing a game as they help each other, was something that I wanted to bring to a reality for a long time, and with Super Mario Galaxy,

I would like to think he succeeded. We had a blast as a family. It's nice to see that Nintendo, as a company, had the forsight to allow so diverse an age range to participate.

2 Comments:

  • It's not just the age range, it's the combination of gameplay allowing different skill sets to contribute simultaneously. Which is my way of avoiding saying "lamers and gamers unite," but that's pretty much what I meant. It doesn't matter who's the good player, age wise.

    Brian would save LWC and me when we got to a tricksy bit in Kingdom Hearts or Spyro (respectively), but it wasn't cooperative.

    Anyway, yes, that's very awesome! And grats on the completion, although I have no idea what game like that you're gonna play now, cause I don't know if there is one.

    LWC and me teamed to play Sudoku on the PS3 (think about that for a while) with her number crunching and my mad clicky skills. But then that was boring and we played more Rock Band. But that was kinda what you were talking about, for a few seconds there.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 8:02 AM  

  • Fortunately, there's a little less than 60 stars still left. The endgame is no longer the reward at the end of the line, but the big countdown reminds us every day that we still have a long way to go.

    Incidentally, we got distracted a little yesterday by THQ's "Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab". Wow. I think every developer should play Super Mario Galaxy before releasing another platformer. There's simply no comparison.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home