Soon To Be Classics

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Heroes - Huh?

Ok, I'm not going into a long winded review of the new NBC show Heroes as many of the other blogging pals have already done so. It's a decent show that's trying very hard to be Lost. I'm willing to give it a shot as I want to see where it goes. Here are some random questions and observations:

- Everything cool seems to be happening during blackouts. That's gonna get old fast.
- Why did Jackie step up and take credit for Claire's actions? It made no sense in her character (with the limited introduction we got). What I thought was going to happen was that Jackie would then disappear having drawn the attention to herself. Apparantly not and in episode 2, we find out that Claire's dad is on to her. So much for that suspense. I'm not sure how that was supposed to go but it seemed awful short.
- So they've put a 5 week timeline on the "disaster" that hits New York on a 26-week show. Also seems to be cutting things short. I'll give Kring the benefit of the doubt.
- I wonder how long we'll have to wait to understand Nikki. I think there's a doppleganger that is physically present but can only be seen in the mirror. Just pure speculation but that's fun. I hope they resist the temptation to make the kid part of her power. However, it's broadcast TV so the "kid is the most powerful character" schtick is probably hard for them to resist. (NBC Executive: "They'll never see THIS coming!")
- I was very surprised they didn't put a graphic violence warning at the start of that episode. Heads cut open with evacuated brains is a bit strong for the 9pm Monday time slot.
- I really like Greg Grunberg. It's humorous that one of the more physically capable characters gets the wussy mental powers. :)
- The eclipse is bugging me. Total red herring. Since we already saw some of our heroes using their powers before the eclipse, it appears to have nothing to do with anything. It's one thing to have Nature play a role and act as a symbol (the island in "Lost"). It's another thing to set it up as a potential catalyst and then refute it in the first 10 minutes.

All in all, it's an interesting watch. There are some neat touches. I'm still rolling my eyes at the "Lost inspired crossovers" though. We'll see how it progresses.

3 Comments:

  • I'm going to take a stab at some of these bulleted items -

    - I believe that it did make sense for Jackie. Jackie is an attention whore.

    - Is it really a 26 week show? Maybe they are doing each episode as a day.

    - But the kid was at a friends house while she was cutting up teh peeps.

    I don't think they are trying to be lost, because lost was just every other mystery story before it.

    All...IMO

    By Blogger TheGirard, at 8:12 AM  

  • Most hour long shows are 22 or 24 episodes.

    By Blogger TMac, at 11:51 AM  

  • I think the first episode was really kinda boring but the second hooked me. I do think that the bomb is just one of the many challenges they will have to face. There will be more.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home