Soon To Be Classics

Friday, September 22, 2006

Let the Games Begin!

Request Week #4:

Top 5 Card Games:

1) Star Wars CCG - I helped with the design and playtest of that. It's really what got me where I am today. Plus, I enjoyed the game. I was never very good at it. At least not to the level of the guys who would track destiny. I just liked to play.

2) WARS TCG - Despite a complete lack of high-level vision, this was the ability to help create something cool. The first set lacked a little because we kept waiting for the SWCCG equivalent cards to come along. I soooo wish we could have gotten set #3 out. It was a blast!

3) Magic: The Gathering - Yep, I like Magic. I really do. It's lots of fun when you don't take it seriously. I had a guy in a tournament once (a non-ante tournament) reach across the table and flip the top card off my deck. It was (no lie) a Black Lotus. He then starts laughing about he was going to take it from me. I told him if he touched my cards again he'd pull back a stump. He then called the judge over and tried to have that card removed from the game since it had been revealed. Geez. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of stupid fuckers playing that game.

4) Star Trek CCG - Yep, I like this one too. Being a Trek fan didn't hurt and it was a good way to "get the geek on". When we designed "First Contact", that was just damn fun. I think that was probably the best playing set of them all.

5) Rage - I really liked Rage until I broke it with a "moot" deck. I could just vote out your toughest Garou and then you were screwed. They had some serious balance issues with that but it was a lot of fun tearing into your opponent. Cool card layouts for the time, too.


Top 5 Board Games:

1) Risk - This was the first game I ever played in tournament, and that back in college at The Ohio State University in 1984. (yikes)

2) Stratego - I *always* beat my friend Jeff. He wore glasses. Figure it out. :)

3) Settlers of Cataan - This one is a lot of fun and I just don't get to play it as much as I'd like.

4) Tsuro - Honestly, I'm not being a shill here. I like the game!

5) Chess - Yes, I like chess. I so rarely have time to play though.


Least Liked Games:

Card:
1) Any "adult" card game. Bridge? Canasta? Bleah.
2) Vs. - Not for me. It's just too predictable.
3) Uno - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
4) Yu-Gi-Oh - The depths of how bad this game is amazes me. Too bad it sells so well though.
5) Pokemon - Again, bad gameplay but slightly better than #4. Only slightly.



Board:
1) Carseconne - I know I mispelled that but I don't care. I just don't get this one. You play for an hour, and then it takes another 10 minutes to figure out who won.
2) Jaunty Jalopies - This is a piece of crap game that Dawn brought in to the office. It is so fucking broken it's not even funny.
3) Disney Princess Crowns and Gowns - Just...do...not...ask.
4) Checkers - Yes, I dislike checkers. When I'm 70 and spending my day in the park, I'll play.
5) Star Wars Trivial Pursuit - My wife and I are both Star Wars geeks so we changed the rules. First person to miss a question loses. We still go for an hour. :(

4 Comments:

  • An, but do you prefer STCCG Second Edition to First Edition? I know I do.

    I still have fond memories of those First Contact playtests. I vaguely remember a Borg-vs-Borg game between you and possibly Dave Bowling that was a race to assimilate Earth in the 21st century or in the 24th century.

    By Blogger GiromiDe, at 4:04 PM  

  • I gotta go with 1st Edition. And yes, that game was between David Bowling and I. That was the same game that caused Bill Martinson to make his famous quote "Temporal mechanics give me a headache."

    By Blogger Mkae, at 5:07 PM  

  • I never played 1st Edition Rage, but I loved the 2E version. Of course, like all the 2Es (Rage, Trek, DBZ, SWCCG 2nd Edit--er, I mean WARS), once the old players realize you took away all their broken-ass cards, they don't like it.

    And Jaunty Jalopies was created by the inimitable Dan Verssen. 'Nuff said.

    By Blogger Jason, at 8:53 AM  

  • Alread and I played 3 or 4 games of Eve CCG last week. Experience was quite good. Enough of a spacey-SWCCG feel to enjoy the strategy of it (trying to control resource producing locations), but different enough to force a rethink (no cost for movement, no distances, card-based durations, battling and stack is Magic like). And it's all ship based currently (based on the MMORPG). No ground/characters yet, which may make set-growth and story-ties an issue, but early days yet.

    If only they had adopted/stolen the Flow Of The Force deck mechanics to avoid needing money-counters.

    The funniest part is reading card/rule text and thinking "oh yeah... thats gonna be a problem later". I suppose, we are old hands after all. :)

    By Blogger Aussie-Askew, at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home