Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, October 05, 2006

300 - Minutes long, all slow motion

The trailer for the Frank Miller "masterpiece" 300 has finally hit and the fanboys are absolutely salivating over it. I lost interest in Miller's art a long time ago because after about 10 pages into the second issue of "The Dark Knight Returns" it turned to absolute shit. "DK2" was just pure crap from start to finish. I'll also draw the ire of my blogging buds, but I really didn't care for "Sin City" either. Lastly, the final nail was the immortal line that Miller got paid probably waaaaaay too much money for, "I'm the Goddamn Batman!". Geez.

So the trailer for 300 is up. It deals with the "Battle of Thermopylae" (I had to look it up too) where 300 Spartans fought 1 billion Persians in front of a green screen in slow motion. If the trailer is any indication, the movie is 27 minutes long if it was shown at the normal frames per second.

It might be cool, but it looks to me to be just another film where the style far outweighs the story. That's what I thought happened to Sin City. I could be wrong here, and hope I am. Hollywood could use something decent happening these days. However, I'm not sure "I'm Goddamn King Leonidas" will fit that bill.

4 Comments:

  • I like style. Frank Miller, like Joss Whedon, is also God.

    No link?

    By Blogger Shocho, at 7:12 AM  

  • Frank Miller books aren't about the art, they aren't really about the writing either. They are about both used together to tell the story and his art is perfect to tell most of his stories.

    Also you shouldn't talk bad about Dark Knight Returns, the Comic Book Gods will get angry.

    Still, I didn't much like the preview.

    By Blogger TMac, at 7:56 AM  

  • I like style too Shocho. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were both full of style but they also had substance (the former moreso than the latter). Sin City had tons of style, not so much substance. I'm curious to see where 300 will fall. I seriously hope it's not all slow motion. I lost interest in that with The Six Million Dollar Man and the Incredible Hulk in the 70's.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 7:44 AM  

  • Slow motion is annoying but the preview looked pretty amazing.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home