Soon To Be Classics

Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Hot New Investment: Ice!

I read a report here that really struck me as odd. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, a hundred million dollars worth of ICE would never make it to hurricane victims. Now, having gone through a hurricane myself and losing power for 5 days, I can tell you that ice is most desired and appreciated. I swear this is true, but about 3 days in we heard a "rumor" in our neighborhood that a local store was getting some ice in at noon. I jumped in the car and rushed up there to get some.

But I digress. A HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS worth of ice? Who owned that? Why would you invest in that? Isn't the upkeep on that investment a little cost prohibitive? If I could build a machine to bring an iceburg to my house, am I in the money? Would an over the fence discussion with my neighbor look like this:

Mark: So, I just invested $100 Million.

Tony: Really? In what? Gold? Stocks?

Mark: Nope. Ice.

Tony: Wow! Where is it?

Mark: Well, it's right over here...oh shit.

Now that you know how valuable ice is, you'll think twice about filling that glass up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home