Soon To Be Classics

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The New TV Season

I'm a bad Tivo'er.

The new TV season is here and it dawned on me yesterday that I haven't set my Tivo for any new programs. The 2005-2006 season seems to be tailor-made for my TV tastes. There's lots of aliens, monsters, spy-stuff, etc. But I'm just not sold on any of it and there's so many that now they're blurring together. What excited me most is catching the premieres of shows that I started watching last year, like Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Boston Legal, etc.

I have caught a few things or have some thoughts on a couple of shows.

Commander In Chief - Thanks to a well-timed heart attack, we have a new President, Geena Davis. This looks very West Wing and not that interesting. Also, is it just me, or does Geena Davis look very much like Jack Nickelson as the Joker?? If you have it Tivo'd, watch the ending again and tell me I'm wrong.

Invasion - A hurricane disguises the arrival of an alien force. And guess what, to avoid special effects shots, they take human form. The first episode was so dull that I actually fell asleep. It didn't fill me with confidence to see that Shaun Cassidy wrote this. This looks like nothing new so I won't be catching the second episode.

Night Stalker - I actually didn't watch this because the reviews were so horrible. Did the producers actually watch the original and understand WHY it was good?

Surface - Lake Bell, the female star of this show, was such a non-entity on last season's Boston Legal that she was ejected pretty quick. Surface was pretty lame and I don't see Bell carrying this on her shoulders.

My Name Is Earl - I saw a little of the first show and it was funny, but not as much as the reviews led me to believe. Maybe this will just take a few episodes to catch its stride.

So, what is everyone watching? What new shows are worth it?? I know a lot of you that read this blog are TV fans so I'll be interested to see what I should watch.

5 Comments:

  • I had the same sort of reaction to the new TV season. I find myself watching my old favorites. Boston Legal is definitely one of them and Smallville always ends its seasons making me hungry for more. The only new show I've been watching is Weeds (Showtime), but honestly it's not that entertaining. I keep watching it hoping it'll blossom, but the prospects aren't good.

    By Blogger Hayden, at 10:02 AM  

  • I also fell asleep during Invasion. I haven't seen a new show I like, just trying to follow Lost, Las Desperadas, and Veronica Mars. And 24, eventually.

    This year's new shows seem to be pale imitations of shows from previous years with nothing to add, unlike last year which gave us some real gems.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:04 AM  

  • What Chuck said.

    I'm not giving too many new shows a chance in spite of the TiVo. I'm too busy these days. As it is, I have to watch the bulk of this week's programming on Sunday.

    By Blogger GiromiDe, at 12:33 PM  

  • I will join the bandwagon and agree that none of the new shows have got me by the scruff in the way that existing, returning shows do.

    If you're going to find a new show to watch just to have a new show, I recommend Prison Break. It started off slow, but it's improved with each new episode.

    But really, the props go to the "old" standbys: Arrested Development, Lost, and Veronica Mars being at the top of that list.

    By Blogger DrHeimlich, at 11:27 PM  

  • Extras - the new Ricky Gervais series on HBO is well worth a look. I have only seen one episode but it has all the cringe making power of the Office and had Kate Winslet discussing phone sex and how to get an Oscar.

    I laughed and winced in equal part

    By Blogger Trundling Grunt, at 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home