Soon To Be Classics

Friday, October 21, 2005

Fun Things to do with German Toilet Paper


paperairplane
Originally uploaded by Mkae.
I think that you can truly tell the mettle of a nation by what they wipe their butt with.

Take the U.S. for example. We're an advanced, caring, clean people that obviously spend millions per year trying to determine how to get more "ply" for our buck.

On my recent trip to Germany though, I learned that the German people are tough and hearty. And obviously don't sit down a lot.

The toilet paper in my hotel room was just brutal. This one ply, cross-hatched, brillo pad for the butt actually tore loudly when you pulled a sheet from the roll like ripping brown shipping paper. I mean, I could have scrubbed dried spaghetti sauce out of a pan with this stuff.

It is easy to say how bad it was, but the proof is in the picture. I decided to put it to the test, by making a paper airplane out of it. Worked like a charm. Nicely creased lines, solid structure, flew several feet.

I dubbed it the "Aero-naughty".

By the way, the 5 euro note in the picture is for size comparison, not some general opinion of the European currency.

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like the TP they used in the restrooms at my high school. Dreadful stuff.

    And when I worked at a paper mill in Maine, the company offered to sell to the employees toilet paper by the case, very inexpensively, so we bought a case. Big mistake. It was not, shall we say, of the highest quality. Kind of like using lightweight newsprint. I suspect it was an off-spec batch the company wanted to get rid of (the mill where I worked didn't make tissue, so it probably came from one of the upstate NY mills).

    Then again, maybe it was an overrun of a shipment intended for Germany.

    wluym

    By Blogger Major Rakal, at 8:13 AM  

  • Is "shipping paper" a typo? :)

    By Blogger thisismarcus, at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home