Soon To Be Classics

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hail To The (Master) Chief


I swear one of these days I'm going to go to E3. Everything that's good and cool in the world happens there. Today, Bill Gates introduced the 2 and a half minute clip from the anxiously awaited Halo 3. From what we see in the clip, Earth (or at least a good portion of it) has been conquered by the Covenant. Master Chief surveys the wreckage, assault rifle in hand. The clip ends with "Finish The Fight". Very nice. For sure, this will be a release on the Xbox 360 (which I have to get now). Not sure if the original Xbox will see a version or not. Seeing and playing this in hi-res will make the purchase worthwhile, I'm sure.

Now of course, at the mention of the name "Xbox", many of you bristle. I'm not sure if anyone that reads this blog (Chickey excepted) own an Xbox. That's fine, it's no skin off my nose. What's a shame is that the only reason a lot of people have given me for not getting an Xbox is because they hate Bill Gates. Some with foam at the mouth passion. It's too bad because you're missing out on a lot of good games. Halo and Halo 2 for sure, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II, and lots of others. I do wish there were a couple of PS2 titles for the Xbox such as Kingdom Hearts, Guitar Hero and a couple of others. I almost said Final Fantasy but even the stalwart PS2 title saw the light and jumped platform.

I have no problem with the PS2. I owned a PS1 and loved it. By the time I was ready to buy another system, the PS2 was already showing it's age and the Xbox was a better machine. The PS3 was just announced with a very similar scheme to the Xbox 360, including two different versions of hard drives (20 gig and 60 gig) but a much steeper price tag. Halo 3 really is enough to pull me into the 360 ring unless the PS3 can REALLY step up with some killer app.

So let the flaming begin. :)

6 Comments:

  • When I buy a computer, I buy it with the hardware in mind. I want as much beef in there as possible so that whatever I happen to run on it works as fast as electrons can move (I know, there's no way I'll use all that processing power, but whatever...I want the speed). When I look at consoles, it's the opposite - I buy with the software in mind and I don't much care about the hardware. I'm primarily an RPG player and the vast majority of games I've enjoyed up to now are the Square-Enix properties - PS2 territory. I'm not a fan of Halo at all (looks nice but when it comes to FPSs it's Halflife or nuthin) and if I want sports games I can play them on the PS2. There's no doubt in my mind that the X-box is a better machine but if it doesn't have the titles I'm looking for it becomes a waste of money.

    So yeah, until I see a slew of RPG titles that I'm interested that are exclusive to the X-box 360 I won't be buying one.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:17 PM  

  • Xbox rules PS2 in every way. I can't wait to get halo 3.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 11:23 PM  

  • Flame on! Naw really, if you wanna buy an Xbox, fine. I enjoyed playing Burnout on yours. Agreed that it should be a software-driven decision. Nobody wants to have a Betamax gathering dust while claiming, "But it's technologically superior!" I'm not an FPS fan, but if I wanted Halo, I'd have an Xbox.

    The game that would have gotten me to buy one is Spore, but that's PC only.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 4:15 AM  

  • I'm holding out for the Wii

    Superbike and SMB:3 FTW!!!

    By Blogger TheGirard, at 8:07 AM  

  • I bow to our Northwest Microsoft overlords. I look forward to picking up the 360 soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

  • Just watched the halo trailer. Wow. Just Wow.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home