Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Mutant Luck Factor

Well, I'm back for a few days. For some reason, everyone at work was surprised I was there. (Wishful thinking?)

Disneyland was wonderful and I have lots of blog stories to share. However, one of the best begins when we left.

We purchased our trip though a package from Alaskan Airlines. It included airfare, hotel, transfers and Disney park tickets. Everything was good except for the transfers (meaning to and from the airport and to and from the park) which all pretty much sucked.

So we decided that we'd do this again next year but piece our own package together. I told Jen that as I saw it, there were four components: Airfare, hotel, car rental, and park tickets. We'd just spend the year looking for deals and jump on each as they came up. To be fair, my goal is to get it all for free and my mutant luck factor (thank you for naming it that Gary) has done me well in the past.

So we get to the LAX airport last night for our 6pm flight. Jameson is having a total meltdown in the 3 hours we had to sit waiting for our flight. I noticed that the gate was busier than it should be and I told Jen that "this flight is full". It turns out, that another Seattle flight was cancelled and they were looking for volunteers to give up their seat. Now, I've played this game MANY times and gotten lots of free flights and money out of it. I jumped up and inquired. The next flight was 7pm. ONE HOUR LATER. To give up my seats for a bunch of snooty businessmen who couldn't possibly wait another hour, we ended up getting four free tickets to anywhere Alaskan Airlines flies (including LAX) good for one year.

In the interim, they fed us and Jameson calmed down considerably. Further, the 6:02pm flight sat on the ground for half an hour while the 7pm flight took off on time. Our backage was on the first flight so when we got to Seattle, our bags were already off the baggage carousel so we scooped them up and off we went.

Jen was doing the "happy dance" as she put it all night.

An awesome end to a great trip! Part one of the four is down and yes, I got it for free. :)

2 Comments:

  • Nice Score. My dad flies most of the year and does that a lot.

    By Blogger DEATH_BY_MONKEYS, at 11:17 PM  

  • Nicely done! I have heard lots of stories about giving up your seat and doing well because of it. I tried to get LWC to do that once, but she wouldn't buy it. She wanted to get home. I have to admit that's how I feel right now.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home