Soon To Be Classics

Thursday, November 17, 2005

They Only Lack The Light To Show Them The Way

I vividly remember the ramp up to Superman: The Movie in the late 70's. I remember the newspaper ads, the occasional commercials on our black and white TV and the ads on the back of DC comics (which I hated reading back then, I was a Marvel guy).

When my friend Jeff and I finally got to go on a Saturday, we were forced to take a younger boy with us. Today, I cannot remember who he was or why we got saddled with him. Unfortunately, him being with us caused us to miss the showing as there weren't enough seats.

A week later, we finally got our chance. It was absolutely stunning. I remember being vaguely confused over the new interpretation of Krypton and Jor-El but about 50 minutes into the film when we first saw "the cape" we forgot all about that.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that movie over the years. Probably dozens. I've listened to the soundtrack probably 10 times that. Still do.

So after a long, crummy day at work. I come home and find this in my usual perusing of the Internet.

Superman Returns Trailer

There is only one voice on the trailer. And it was recorded almost 30 years ago. The music was recorded 30 years ago at the same time.

Watching this made me feel 14 again. And when you hit 40, that feeling is golden.

3 Comments:

  • I saw it in the theater last night before a midnight showing of Harry Potter. I had the same sort of feeling. A welcome blast from the past indeed.

    By Blogger Hayden, at 9:32 AM  

  • That trailer was visually stunning, but the part you guys liked was the part I disliked. If I wanted to hear the old fat guy and the old music I'd watch the old movie.

    I didn't care for all the Krypton junk in the original. It's what Supes does here on Earth that counts in my book.

    Crotchety Old Man, signing off.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 5:40 AM  

  • Personally I think it was a great teaser trailer, a perfect way to bring back an old friend.

    By Blogger TMac, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home