Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, December 02, 2007

100 Greatest Video Games

I love lists. Now that we're in the twilight of 2007, you're likely to be bombarded by them. IGN.com has posted one that is near and dear to my blog reader's hearts.

IGN's Top 100 Video Games

In case you were wondering, here is my list:

100. Archon (This game introduced me to controller smashing frustration.)
98. Quake II
88. Star Wars (Arcade)
83. World of Warcraft
81. Space Invaders
72. Mechwarrior
68. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
66. Burnout 3: Takedown (Best driving game EVER!)
62. Wolfenstein 3D
51. Sonic the Hedgehog
32. Halo
27. Star Wars : KOTOR
19. DOOM
13. Ms. Pac Man
12. Star Wars : TIE Fighter
11. Starcraft
2. Tetris
1. Super Mario Brothers

I think Pac Man is a notable omission from the list, even though Ms. Pac Man represents the line. Further, I think Dance Dance Revolution certainly deserves a slot since it, like Pac Man, broke the mold on video game consumers. Halo 2? Until Halo 3, this title holds the single day sales record in all of entertainment history including movies and books. Lastly, where is Zork? Gary Kasparov Chess? What else is missing my fellow bloggers?

My list would have been significantly better if I had bought into the Zelda, Final Fantasy and Mario lines as they represent a HUGE portion of this list. I was also hurt by never owning a PS2 as many of the key games for that system made this list (Grand Theft Auto, anyone?)

Your thoughts and lists?

4 Comments:

  • Well, I've got 62 games on the list.

    One notable omission for me was any Sierra adventure game. No King's Quest, Space Quest, or Quest For Glory entries?

    Another omission was Rogue. That game virtually started the dungeon crawling genre.

    SimCity 2000 and not SimCity?

    What about other Apogee and ID games like Commander Keen or Duke Nukem '3D?

    The PC games mostly seem to lack representation unless the game also appeared on another console.

    Come to think of it, so does the Atari. Where's Pitfall and Yars' Revenge?

    Ms. Pacman and Star Wars Arcade were all they could come up with from the '80s? No Dig-Dug, Time Pilot, Berserk, Donkey Kong, etc?

    I think Dragon's Lair is a pretty solid miss as well.

    I too noticed the lack of DDR; I guess they figured Guitar Hero 2 covered the rhythm genre.

    Just some thoughts to generate discussion; overall, this list covered some bases very well. I think it's a little too Nintendo-heavy; 5 Zelda titles alone and lots of Mario titles as well.

    By Blogger Cush1978, at 9:04 PM  

  • Ha!

    You and I spent a LOT of hours at the arcade playing Star Wars...oh...25 years ago! lol


    And I agree with Michael about Dragon's Lair being a notable ommission.


    Oh, gawd. There goes my geek index again...

    By Blogger Beanie, at 5:40 PM  

  • Man, no kidding B. What a way to connect the dots. We use to cruise up to the arcade there on High Street after eating at the Oval Pizza!! Aaah!!

    By Blogger Mkae, at 7:06 PM  

  • Mark,

    It's pronounced:

    "All-ooo-kahn-yaht"

    --Beth

    By Blogger Beanie, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home