Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Considering the Plunge

I'm going to be spending a lot of time on airplanes over the next couple of months so I'm considering purchasing an iPod (or another MP3 player). Since I think I'm the last person on Earth to get one, I had some questions that I can't seem to find non-biased answers for. So, since I believe everyone who reads my blog owns one, I thought I would turn for you guys to help.

1) I have MP3's on my system that were ripped using a non iTunes program. Can I transfer those to an iPod?
2) If I put iTunes on my home system and work system, can I use both systems to add songs to the iPod?
3) If I go with the larger iPod with a video screen, how do I get videos on there? Is there a way other than buying them from Apple?
4) Is there a significant reason to buy an iPod as opposed to another MP3 player?
5) Is there anything else I should expect? Any pitfalls to avoid?

That's it. Any help is appreciated.

4 Comments:

  • 1) Yes. Any MP3 will play on an iPod. I ripped all my CDs using Rhapsody and when I took the plunge with an iPod I had no problem transfering those to my new unit.

    2) Yes. I actually have 3 computers with my iTunes and can transfer back and forth easily. I only recommend that you do not update your library automatically when you plug in your iPod, but you do that upon setup.

    3) Any video that is in the .mp4, .m4p, .m4v formats will play. If you have .avi or .wmv, there are freeware programs that you can get to convert them. Getting DVD onto iPod is a little harder, but possible. (not exactly on the up and up, but possible)

    4) In my opinion, no, not really. But it seems there are a ton more support apps and support in general away from the manufacturer out there for the iPod, than any thing else.

    5) I mentioned not allowing the automoatic uplink each time you plug in your iPod, right?

    By Blogger BubbaJoe, at 2:24 PM  

  • Do not buy an Apple product. Your paradigm will be irrevocably damaged. This is your last warning.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 6:23 PM  

  • I have a paradigm? Holy crap.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 6:41 PM  

  • Justin answered everything pretty much spot on. I would avoid updating your iPod off of more than one computer though, sometimes that can get wonky.

    Moving a DVD to your iPod is easy and actually legal since you own the DVD.

    To find one with the storage of an iPod there is little reason to go with one other than the iPod, they are the best. I like iTunes to manage my music and the support is great. If you want something smaller than the HD iPods you might be able to find something a lot cheaper.

    The best time to buy them is near graduation, they run a ton of deals for graduation gifts.

    By Blogger TMac, at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home