Soon To Be Classics

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

I have discovered in my life that there are three types of Father's Days.

The first, is when you're with your Dad. You greet him in the morning with a card (homemade or otherwise) eat a big greasy breakfast, and then go play ball. Mom took you to the store to buy him an awful tie, or a power drill. Dad's allowed to do nothing that Day as the work piles up around the house. (God help him on Monday if the dishes aren't done!)

The next (which not all of you will ever experience) is a bitter, sad affair when your Dad has died far too young. You turn off the TV when Home Depot ads come on advertising all the great stuff your Dad wants. Everyone else has big plans for the day and you just want to crawl in a hole. You hate this day as it just reminds you that seemingly everyone else in the world has something you lost.

The last, is when you're the Dad, and your kids wake up and pile on your like an amuesement park ride. You eat cereal with them, read books, and get bad ties as gifts. It's awesome.

I've done all three of these. My Dad died when he was 54. He was diagnosed with cancer and he went very quickly after that. His last days were filled with morphine-induced hallucinations. At one point, I had to "enter" the hallucination and interact with imaginary robbers to calm him down. It was absolutely horrifying. I sat with him for 2 weeks when took a turn for the better. I had to get back to work and promised to be a phone call away. I got the call at 6am, right as I was beginning my Radio shift. There was no one to come in for me so I did a 4 hour morning Radio show knowing that I had lost him.

I was inspired to write this by Shocho, whom I didn't realize we had so much in common. Smoking also killed my Dad. If you smoke, and have kids, you're a selfish idiot. Nuff said.

Now I have two wonderful kids who arguably treat every day like Father's Day. They don't understand the cards and gifts yet, but every day of the year, Dad is the greatest thing ever.

Happy Father's Day Dad. I wish you could have seen your grandchildren.

4 Comments:

  • We never discussed this in all these years we've known each other. Amazing.

    There are other kinds of Father's Days, but I don't want to think about them because you mentioned the good ones already.

    By Blogger Shocho, at 2:14 PM  

  • this was a really poignant post...thank you for sharing this. you will have to read my post about stealing a father's day cake. my dad died when i was four.

    By Blogger Max and Me, at 7:19 PM  

  • Sorry Shocho. Dad is something I don't bring up much. I always wonder if my friends still have their parents, but it's really tacky to ask.

    By Blogger Mkae, at 8:34 PM  

  • I did read it Meander. It was wonderful!

    By Blogger Mkae, at 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home